Re: [Proposal] Extended UTF-16 by using Plane 14

From: Mark Davis (marked@best.com)
Date: Sun Apr 18 1999 - 14:23:16 EDT

I am aware of that TR. Because of the goal of synchronization with ISO 10646,
there is a difference between being accepted for encoding in Unicode, and
being part of the Unicode standard; the latter being on a much longer
timeframe. See http://www.unicode.org/unicode/alloc/Pipeline.html for more
information.

The language tags (E0000..E007F) have been accepted for encoding, but are not
formally part of the Unicode standard, and are not included in Unicode 3.0.
"At the current time, the specifications in this technical report are
provided as information and guidance to implementers of the Unicode Standard,
but do not form part of the Standard itself."

We will be incorporating non-private-use surrogates into Unicode Standard
after Version 3.0.

Mark

--
business: mark.davis@us.ibm.com, mark@unicode.org