Re: wchar.h, wctype.h question

From: G. Adam Stanislav (adam@whizkidtech.net)
Date: Wed May 05 1999 - 16:52:47 EDT

On Wed, May 05, 1999 at 02:11:58PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> A plane is a chunk of 65536 characters starting at 0, so
> Plane 0 is 0 to 0xFFFF, Plane 1 is 0x10000 to 0x1FFFF, and so on.
> The planes are allocated as follows
> [snip]

OK, got it. Thanks.

> Mark Leisher and I have implemented a common API which could easily
> be front-ended with the C standard API. Mark's implementation uses a
> binary file a la TZ, so it is easy to extend as the Unicode Standard grows
> without impacting applications. Mine uses compact (about 6K)
> compiled-in tables, built by a Perl script.
>
> Both implementations use X-style licensing, and I believe you should
> adopt either one or the other or both, with whatever mods you want.
> Considerable implementation-strategy effort has gone into both.

I like that idea. Yes, you both have clearly done your homework. I will
run the idea of C just front-ending one or the other of the two libraries
by the rest of our team.

> We built a new API because we wanted to represent all the categories
> of Unicode, which are a much richer set than the Posix ones.
> See the file THEORY in my implementation.

Agreed, the Posix set is incomplete. That is why I like the idea of the
front end. It offers each programmer a choice of being restricted to Posix
or of taken advantage of your more complete API.

> Feel free to contact me privately for further assistance.

Thank you. :-)

Adam