Re: 5 Hebrew Consonances Shaping

From: Mark Leisher (
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 13:23:05 EDT

>> ... probably a bad idea
    Mark> I would go further: it's wrong. The theory of operation for Hebrew
    Mark> in Unicode is that final forms are explicitly there or not. You do
    Mark> not present (much less change to) final forms at the end of words
    Mark> unless there's a final form there. I think this was more or less
    Mark> clearly stated in the description of the Hebrew block in the Unicode
    Mark> Standard book.

I was not altogether correct when I mentioned shaping from the nominal form in
our system. Here is the procedure in detail:

1. When Hebrew text is loaded from a file
   A. final forms are converted to nominal followed by a ZWNJ
   B. nominal forms (that have final equivalents) are followed by a ZWJ

2. When Hebrew text is entered from a standard Hebrew keyboard (or variants),
   the keys representing final forms insert the nominal character followed by
   a ZWNJ and the nominal forms are inserted with a following ZWJ.

This does expand the size of the text, but for most of our purposes, this
greatly simplifies writing code to process the text.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab Life is like Sanskrit read to a pony.
New Mexico State University -- Lou Reed
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL
Las Cruces, NM 88003