Re: Questions about proposed characters

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Sun May 30 1999 - 14:04:20 EDT

G. Adam Stanislav scripsit:

> Might I get you interested in another one? It is not a symbol but a digraph
> which would fit nicely into the few empty spaces of the U+0180 page. This
> page contains (among other things) digraphs, such as dz, lj, nj.

The Croatian digraphs only exist to allow 1-1 transliteration between
Cyrillic and Latin representations of the same text.

> My native language, Slovak, uses the digraph "ch", [...].
> It is also lexicographically distinct. In Slovak dictionaries, the letter
> ch follows the letter h, and precedes the letter i. So, for example, if a
> computer program sorted a list of Slovak words working on the assumption
> that any occurence of "ch" is just a "c" followed by an "h", it would sort
> it incorrectly.

Spanish follows exactly the same rules. Lexicographic ordering problems
cannot be solved in general by introducing new characters, but require
other methods. See http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10 .

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.