Re: Internationalization--Standard Conventions

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Sun May 30 1999 - 13:57:07 EDT

Alain scripsit:

> [Alain] In France butter is still sold in pounds (livres) after more
> than 2 centuries using the metric system. However the livre there is
> now defined as exactly half a kilo (500 g).

In one of my other modes, I am helping to develop an alternative
history in which (among other differences) the metric system was
not adopted (it went the way of the Republican calendar). Instead,
the world standardized on inch-pound measurements and L.s.d. money.
However, there is an international standard livre in Paris!
The central point of departure was the evolution of a Romance
language in Western Britain, replacing Welsh.
See http://www.earthlight.nz.co/~andrew .

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.