Re: Questions about proposed characters

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Mon May 31 1999 - 08:41:02 EDT

Ar 13:55 -0700 1999-05-30, scríobh Alain:

>[Alain] The council of the Spanish language decided some years ago thta
>"ch" and "ll" are no longer considered single letters but are separate
>sort-wise.

A concession to problems with IT implementation (or lack of it), is my guess.

> If I had been a Spaniard I would have objected as they could not care
>less with people's habits. They did it in thinking that their language
>would be better adapted to computers... I believe that computers hsould
>adapt to people, not the reverse. But I am probably too much old-fashioned.

Well, it was expensive. Consider the need to republish all dictionaries,
encyclopaediae, card catalogues, etc. And to retrain people. And future
irritation because there are two systems when there used to be one.

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478-2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478-2597 (by arrangement)