Re: Internationalization--Phone Number Writing Conventions

From: Jean-Yves Fortin (jyfortin@dsi-51.ic.gc.ca)
Date: Tue Jun 01 1999 - 13:56:15 EDT

>At 11:34 31-05-1999 -0700, Michael Everson wrote:
>>Ar 10:10 -0700 1999-05-31, scríobh Marion Gunn:
>>>
>>>On the contrary, I hope that people will not do as would seem to be
>>>suggested above, but rather continue giving their addresses in full, [...]
>>
>>Yes, but I think Clive means when printing them on business cards or
>something.
>
>But why print just a server name on a business card? I disagree with Clive
>about his web address. His domain is "zebra.com", his web server name is
>"www" within his domain, "www.zebra.com" to the rest of the world. His URL
>is "http://www.zebra.com/" and that is his web address, including the
>trailing slash.
>
>Although it is common practice to name a web server "www" it is neither a
>requirement, nor is it always the case. Suppose you name a server "i18n".
>Now if you print "i18n.zebra.com" on a business card, just what is it? An
>http server? An ftp server? A gopher server? A LAN client? A directory on
>your computer? A file? Printing "http://i18n.zebra.com/" makes it clear.
>Printing "ftp://i18n.zebra.com/" also makes it clear.
>
>The "http://", "ftp://" etc, are not "escapes" they are protocols, and they
>are an integral part of the URL. The rest of it is a server name without
>any indication what kind of server it is.

I completely agree about the above being protocols. On the other hand, my
e-mail address is: jyfortin@tsacc.ic.gc.ca. The use of "mailto:" (i.e.
mailto:jyfortin@tsacc.ic.gc.ca ) is an artefact to get a clickable address
in this message. The use of the protocol identifier, as was pointed out in
other message, is the same type of artefact used in e-mail message to make
the text string recognition easier and enable clickable links.

This being said, on a business card, although one could specify the
protocol identifier, "www" has become a defacto "http://" equivalent and
should be sufficient to identify the web site address.

>This is why, for example, if you click on Start, then Run, on Windows 95
>(or later) and type "www.zebra.com", you will get a file-not-found message.
>If you type the full URL, the system will load your default web browser, or
>your default ftp client (which may happen to be the same program), and get
>you to that URL using the right protocol.
>
>Adam
>---
>Visit Count Gracula's Gallery:
>http://www.whizkidtech.net/gcl/gallery/

Jean-Yves Fortin (mailto:jyfortin@tsacc.ic.gc.ca)
Secrétariat du CCCNT - TSACC Secretariat
[Conseil consultatif canadien sur les normes de télécommunications
Telecommunications Standards Advisory Council of Canada]
Tél. +1 613 990 4290 Fax +1 613 957 8845
Mailto:admin@tsacc.ic.gc.ca
Webmestre/Webmaster : http://www.tsacc.ic.gc.ca/