Re: Hebrew: inconsistencies

From: Arno Schmitt (arno@zedat.fu-berlin.de)
Date: Thu Jun 03 1999 - 08:48:37 EDT

Jonathan Rosenne schrieb:

> [...]
I stated it clearly:
"the program finds the right form of" the five consonants when it
knows the following sign.

> > I think we have to live with this __inconsistency__.
> > But there is no excuse for software developers,
> > - not to give us proper placing of the holam,
>
> Yes, considering there are various views as to what is "proper".
>
> > - not to provide us with proper shaping of Hebrew consonants (as
> > is done for Arabic and Indic scripts) - for thus to lazy to type
> > final forms where they regularly occur.
>
> This is a coding issue, whether you mark the exceptions or code the final
> forms.

You choose never to answer my questions as to statistics:
How often to you have a no-final form at the end of a Hebrew word?
(In what percentage of printed word does it occur in a foreign
name?, in an abbreviation)?

> > So, I can give no straightforward answer.
> > Interestingly, Jony did not recognize "Aoax" (eagle-owl),
> > as alef (glottal stop), right holam (o), furtive patah (a), het
> > (x).
> > Unicode decided that furtive patah, signaling /a/ BEFORE the
> > letter under which it stands, and patah, signaling /a/ AFTER the
> > letter under which it stands.
>
> Not only Unicode. This is common usage. Only experts know the difference.
> Normally, both are written the same, under the letter.

This is ridiculous, EVERY speaker of Hebrew knows whether it is
lehitkaleax or lehitkalexa

> > So I have to input for /'oax/ "'oxa" -- the argument being: a
> > vowel signs are keyboarded (stand in the code stream) AFTER the
> > vowel with which they are WRITTEN (not before or after according
> > to when they are SPOKEN).
> > This being so, the holam (the single holam admitted by Unicode),
> > must be keyboarded after the letter with which it is written.
> > Aoax is keyboarded/coded as Aoxa (letter, vowel, letter vowel)
> > roAsh must then be keyboarded/coded as rAosh, because the holam
> > sits on the alef.
>
> The Holam is placed on the Alef but belongs to the Resh, so it is Resh,
> Holam, Alef, Shin, Shin Dot.
>
> > Since Unicode decided that there is only one patah
> > AND decided that there is only one holam,
> > the obviously want us to keyboard holam according to when it is
> > SPOKEN,
> > and patah according where it is WRITTEN.
> > Right, Jony?
>
> Wrong.

This will not do. Here as always, you do not give a reason.
Do you have such an authoritarian mind that for you the only
argument is "The relevant body has already decides" or do you not
know the different between reason and apodictically statement?

> > I think I understand you twisted logic, but I would prefer a
> > consitent way.
> > And logically, there are only five different SHAPES to the
> > consonants in question, just like in Arabic.
>
> I am preparing a logical and consistent new coding for English, which is
> notoriously illogical and inconsistent. I have many sources for this,
> including G. B. Shaw, and I am confident that Arno will support my proposal
> against any irrational objections our American and British colleagues and
> other biasd naitiv speekerz of english mai raiz.

Again, you are mixing up things:
I do not propose a new orthography of Hebrew (just a more rational
coding of it letters and signs).
In the contrary: I cling to the good and well established practice
of distinguishing between left and right holam, between patah
before and after.
You are the simplificateur -- according to your taste!