RE: Tamil and Unicode

From: Edward Cherlin (
Date: Sun Jun 06 1999 - 22:49:19 EDT

Jeroen Hellingman [] wrote:

>>One product that does support Tamil in Unicode is Unitype Global
>>Writer, but
>>unfortunately, you still have to select a Tamil font manually when it
>>a Tamil character, as it won't do it automatically. I consider this a big
>>shortcoming, as
>>I need to switch scripts extremely often. (I evaluated it for dictionary
>>making, in which the
>>scripts switch several times for each headword.).

I was doing the same thing recently in Chinese, Japanese, Korean and
English. I concluded that I had to think of it as an inverted database file
(storing columns, each of a single datatype, instead of rows containing one
record each). I made a group of entries in one script, then went back and
added the bits in the next script, and so on.

Edward Cherlin                        President
Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail
Help outlaw Spam.       <>
Talk to us at             <>