RE: Hexadecimal character entry (ISO 14755)

From: Addison Phillips (AddisonP@simultrans.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 08:25:57 EDT

If we're going to do reductio ad absurdum, we may as well go all the way <g>...

If you are using an Arabic keyboard, do you not get the "catalog numbers" associated with that writing system (instead of "normal" 0-9)?

I agree that 0-9 are known globally. Heck, the vast majority of computer users know and recognize ASCII. The point, again, was: why are we arguing about localizing all of these characters to support the most technical users and thus confusing the issue with multiple standards (one for every locale on Earth? The answer I'm hearing is that we've OVER estimated the user community, since many users will probably learn their favorite characters that are not keyboard accessible and this is the audience we need to address.

Personally, I'd prefer hex to always be represented by 0-9, A-F from the ASCII range.

AP