RE: Microsoft's ANSI Character Set

From: Paul Dempsey (Exchange) (paulde@exchange.microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 13:07:24 EDT

Asmus gives a good history.

ANSI does not refer to any specific character set, codepage, or standard.
Today, 'ANSI' in Windows documentation just means the current system
codepage or SBCS/DBCS/MBCS codepages in general. You can think of it as the
name for "not Unicode".

--- Paul Chse Dempsey
Microsoft Visual Studio Text Editor Development