(Re: Unicode mapping table need help) Euro sign encoding in "ANSI 8-bit code", danger of an incompatible quasi-standard

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 14:50:49 EDT

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Paul Keinanen <keinanen@sci.fi>
An: Unicode List <unicode@unicode.org>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 8. Juni 1999 16:22
Betreff: Re: Unicode mapping table need help

> The Euro sign is going to be widely used within EU anyway and it is
> unrealistic to think that people would would completely switch to UCS-2
> UTF-8) abandoning all old software, just in order to be able to use the
> sign. If the 8859-15 would have been further delayed, there would have
> a great risk of multiple mutually incompatible vendor specific encodings
> the Euro sign.

This is already the case! It is a serious problems to software developers
who have to implement the Euro sign into legacy software which uses
8-bit code (especially the so-called "ANSI Code", i.e. the Microsoft
Windows Western European 8-bit Code).
Microsoft declares on its page:
to assign the Euro symbol to the until now unused code 0x80, but
the Euro-enabled TrueType fonts downloadable from that site do
not show a character at that position.
Some German font vendors, e.g. http://www.softmaker.de or
http://www.data-becker.de are now offering font collections for Windows
with TWO Euro signs in all fonts: the official glyph at 0x87 and a glyph
adapted to each font at 0xA4 (replacing the "currency symbol" which
is the Unicode symbol Ux00A4 at the compatible place!).
(The problem Euro glyph vs. Euro character is discussed in detail
e.g. by Neil Kandalgaonkar at http://www.yuiop.com/type/euro/ .
If the parallel use of both persists, maybe an "Euro glyph dingbat"
has to be introduced into Unicode besides the "Euro currency symbol".
I am not the one who will propose that. )

Karl Pentzlin
AC&S Analysis Consulting & Software GmbH
Ganghoferstraße 128
D-81373 München, Germany