Re: Hexadecimal in many scripts (ISO 14755)

From: Alain LaBont\i\ (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 15:27:17 EDT

A 11:49 99-06-08 -0700, Sandra O'donnell USG a écrit :
>Do we know of an existing
>or likely need for a system to be able to enter Unicode in hex without
>having the usual hex digits available?

[Alain] Well, a twisted case can be deduced from previous messages: the
telephone keypad... One has to invent a pattern-matching trick with actual
decimal numbers to enter the 5 additional hex digits of the hexadecimal
system...

  It's twisted, I know... Very twisted...

  That said the ISO/IEC 14755 standard is an open satndard, not one aiming
at restrictions... this was a way to stop nit-picking on the Eurocentrism
of hexadecimal... the comment was indeed made!

  As I usually say: "No Pablum" (; , we fixed that for eventual (even if
unlikely in practice) usage! And who are we to eventually say that one is
not entitled to do it if one *chooses* so, even if Latin letters are
available in another layer of the keyboard by triple-shifting a pedal (I
think it is always the case that one can enter the Latin leters, but not
necessarily directly in the normal mode of the keyboard in a particular
script!) (;

Alain LaBonté
Québec