Re: Hexadecimal in many scripts (ISO 14755)

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 09:48:16 EDT

Sandra O'donnell USG wrote:

> Throughout this voluminous thread, I've seen several people ask whether
> anyone has a keyboard that does NOT include the Latin letters A-Z and
> a-z, or the digits 0-9.

It seems pretty sure that everyone has the ability to type A-F and 0-9
in *some* mode of the keyboard. The question is, is it ergonomically
sound to make non-Latin users switch first to Latin mode, then to
Unicode magic mode, enter 4 hex characters, exit Unicode mode,
and return to the original mode.

> So far I haven't seen an answer. It seems that
> information is needed before worrying much about determining the first
> six "letters" in every alphabet.

As far as *necessity*, perhaps; as far as *usability*, no.