Re: Request for Comments: Language Codes

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Fri Jun 11 1999 - 13:19:27 EDT

Eric Brunner wrote:

> Please have a look at the table contained in the final 2/3rds of Harald's
> current draft, for errors and omissions. If someone would go to the SISLA
> and SIL sites and save me some work I'd really appreciate it.

Note that that stuff is non-normative in Harald's draft. It comes
from ISO 639-2, and if any of it is broken,
it is only ISO (and/or the registrar) who can fix it, not Harald
or the IETF.

> who owns (and can exclude) the standard?

ISO owns it. The registrar for ISO 639 is:

        Library of Congress
        Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
        c/o Network development and MARC Standards Office

> is the common American name (and three-letter acronym) preferred by
> the actual language community?

Not necessarily.

> is computer support for "minority languages" part of the preservation
> of those languages?

ISO 639 has nothing to do with computers necessarily; it works
equally well on old-fashioned library catalog cards. It is a way
of labeling languages with 2-letter or 3-letter codes, that's all.

> The hack for doing standard support (in the IETF) for languages not covered
> in either iso639 or iso639-2 is a language tag registration, with the IANA,
> the same folks several of us have gone to for a top-level domain, without
> success. There are only two which have been granted, and these are both in
> the 2nd and 3rd parts of this message.

About five went through a few weeks ago, including i-klingon.

> The IANA language tag registration brings up more issues:

> is the reference authoritative (and who is the authority)?

IETF is the authority.

> is the tag requestor authorized by the language community?

Not necessarily.

> Kitakitamatsinopowaw,
> Eric

You never did tell me whether my attempt to render this word
into UCAS was correct or not.