Re: diaeresis/umlaut

From: Jeroen Hellingman (jehe@kabelfoon.nl)
Date: Sat Jun 12 1999 - 15:42:26 EDT

>Which German character set do you mean?

ISO 5426, which was derived from DIN 31 624. The distinction was made to
be able to ignore diaresis in sorting, while sorting umlaut as "e"

> I think there are other non-spacing characters (diacritics) that have
> the same Unicode character code value but different meanings in
> different scripts. And like Mr. Figge I begin to wonder why these two
> meanings are not treated differently, like Latin A, Greek Alpha and
> Cyrillic A have different code values. Maybe someone can clarify this.

You will find that even some diacritics used on Cyrillic or Greek are
included in the
generic diacritics block, and not duplicated for that script.

Roman, Greek, and Cyrillic A look very much the same, but the change of
confusing them is still not too big, because they are normally entered via
the keyboard, which will be
configured for one or the other alphabet... I agree that the distinction is
not
strictly consistent, but I believe it is pragmatic.

Jeroen Hellingman