Re: UTF-8 support in the X Window System

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Tue Jun 22 1999 - 16:44:23 EDT

Hi Hiura-san,

Hideki Hiura wrote:

> FYI: What X-i18n WG planned to support Unicode string right before X
> Consortium was tapering out is to define CompoundText2, which directly
> transfer UTF16.

Let's not revive that proposal. If we do revive it, please change the
name from CompoundText2 to something else (say, UTF16_STRING).

But UTF8_STRING is sufficient, so let's not have so many different ways
to do it. Having a single way to do Unicode in X selections would avoid
confusion, and provide a single goal for implementors.

Erik