Re: Umlaut and diaeresis

From: Keld J|rn Simonsen (keld@dkuug.dk)
Date: Wed Jun 23 1999 - 05:09:28 EDT

On Tue, Jun 22, 1999 at 08:53:00AM -0700, Lars Henrik Mathiesen wrote:
> > From: Keld J|rn Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk>
> > Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:59:20 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > Well, the aa is sorted as an å also in foreign words and names
>
> This is however completely counterintuitive to any Dane who was not on
> the relevant Danish Standards committee. The surnames Isak and Isaak
> are unexpectedly two pages apart in the Copenhagen phone book --- and
> there aren't many people who will think to look in both places.

It is not Danish Stnadards, but Dansk Sprognaevn. And it is approved
by the parliament. Vote for some other representatives to parliament
next time, Lars.

> > and it is recommended that a soft hyphen SHY then is introduced
> > between the two a's.
>
> Is that the SHY that some editors put in the buffer for display when a
> word needs to broken, and remove again when the paragraph is reflowed?
> Or the SHY that's permanent in the document, and means that the word
> can only be broken at the place marked? I don't think you can rely on
> Latin-1 SHY having suitable semantics for this, but perhaps Unicode
> ZWNJ could be used.

SHY is the SHY of 8859-1 , 10646-1 etc. And it is for storage
with the data.

Most people in Denmark uses iso8859-1 - not UCS for encoding,
so relying solely on UCS at this point in time is not an option.

Keld