Re: UTF-8 support in the X Window System

From: Steve Swales (Steve.Swales@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Jun 24 1999 - 18:28:19 EDT

Marcus,

As Hideki intimated, Sun and other companies have done a lot of work in this
area over the last few years. In addition, the voting members of X.org have
established a task force within X.org to look into I18n issues such as this, as
well as several other "special interest" task forces.

I encourage anyone interested in this and other changes in the X standard to
visit the X.org website (http://www.x.org), and consider joining X.org, if you
are not a member, or contacting your representative, if you are, so you can be
added to the appropriate task force mailing list(s).

Over the last year, we (X.org, that is) have been reinventing ourselves, and we
are very interested in getting technological discussions going, and making
appropriate and needed changes and additions to the X standard. One of the
changes we've made is to make the membership more accessible to small companies
who want to participate, but can't afford a big financial committment, by adding
an additional tier of membership, and clearly outlining the benefits of each
tier.

-steve

P.S. for those within Sun who are interested in participating, please let me
know. If there is enough interest, I'll try to set up an internal mail alias
linked to the x.org list.

Steve Swales
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
901 San Antonio Road, MS MPK29-203