Re: FW: Question about Shift_JIS mapping table

From: Martin J. Duerst (duerst@w3.org)
Date: Thu Jun 24 1999 - 19:07:45 EDT

Hello Magda,

What you say is basically true, but it's fairly limited.
The differences appear in the mapping of symbols, some
vendors seem to prefer mapping 'full-width' symbols to
the official (but half-width) symbols in Unicode, others
prefer to map them to the corresponding compatibility
codepoints.

As far as I understand, the problem can be avoided by
refraining from using the full-width variants of these
symbols. (By the way, this is actually what JIS X 0208-1997
requires).

It's very important to note that neither Katakana nor
Hiragana nor Kanji are affected.

As for the problem with one-to-one, this is also true.
The problem here is the backslash/Yen symbol. It takes
a programmer (or some AI or what) to e.g. correctly
convert a C program. This problem has been perpetuated
into Unicode by Microsoft (and maybe others) by providing
separate Unicode fonts for the Japanese market. The fonts
differ in only one place: They use a Yen mark for the
backslash. That way, the Japanese never get out of their
confusion between backslash and Yen.

So in summary: The problem is there, but it is fairly local.

Regards, Martin.

At 09:03 99/06/24 -0700, Magda Danish (Unicode) wrote:

> [...]

#-#-# Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-# mailto:duerst@w3.org http://www.w3.org