Re: POSIX locales and Roman Numerals

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 16:48:21 EDT

Markus Kuhn wrote:

> people in the US still follow the Roman number tradition and have
> to start the day with "hour number XII ante meridian"

And then rambles on proposing to make everything better by going to 24 hour so-called international time. You've got to be kidding! How will that help?

Friends, nothing will get better until we have RATIONAL TIME. My society has for many years proposed a 100 day year and has resolved to settle for nothing less than decimal time now, for all people everywhere.

We are pleased therefore to announce the formation of a new international treaty organization of Nuclear Nations who have pledged to band together for the purpose of bolting large rockets onto the Hallowed Earth and thereby propel it into a faster orbit. At the same time, we will rid the world forever of the 29 (and some fraction) day month, replacing it with romantic meteor showers on an unimaginable scale. Soon we will be ready to usher in the New Millenium with a truly clean slate. There will be one hundred days a year, ten days a week, 10 hours a day, and your descendents forever will thank you for ridding the world of that pesky moon with its annoying wax and wane.

What could be more blissful than pure decimals down to the bare bedrock?

Of course, the normal populace could continue to get their daily eight hours of sleep followed by two hours of uninterrupted commercial television, and leave the driving to people who can keep their eyes open.

Viva la decimal system!
Down with odd slices of time!

Yours Truly,

        Irck McGlorken
        President, Interplanetary Fast Earth Society
        1 East Bolshevik Boulevard
        Kapitola, Foovia
        Telefon: 3