RE: Code in code out

From: Paul Dempsey (Exchange) (paulde@exchange.microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 17:05:25 EDT

Word inserts Unicode when the user adds characters that aren't in the
codepage. This is probably true for anything in the Symbol font. There's no
way to control this. You could open and save using an RTF reader that
doesn't support Unicode (older version of Word, older richedit). This should
filter out the Unicode control words. You probably also lose the Unicode
characters that the user entered.

If you're parsing the RTF yourself, you might just have to update your
parser to handle the Unicode control words (to ignore them, if nothing
else). Download the latest RTF spec for the details. If it's a properly
written RTF parser, it should not have any trouble with new control words
such as the Unicode controls, you would just get an approximation of the
character in the codepage.

--- paul