Re: POSIX locales and Roman Numerals

From: Scott Horne (shorne@metaphasetech.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 21:39:42 EDT

> I think the Unicode list is not the appropriate forum to blast US cultural
> norms.

... such as they are.

> For the record, were Germany or France or any other "enlightened" culture
> isolated geographically (and economically) from other parts of the world, they
> would no doubt have incompatible cultural norms.

And no doubt they would be monolingual and jingoistically unwilling
to acknowledge the legitimacy of other cultures, like the people of a
certain country I know? Canada and Mexico are no less (and probably
more) geographically and economically isolated from the rest of the
world than the US is, yet they accept international standards much more
readily.

> Witness how long it has taken England to adopt metric standards, for example.

But England *has* adopted the Système International for most purposes.
The only countries in the world that have not done so are Liberia,
Myanmar, and the US. In fact, it was because of the intransigence of
the US that the EU had to delay by ten years its requirement of
labelling of products in metric units only.

> I think US bashing is getting a bit tiresome.

We are just calling a spade a spade. Until the US starts showing more
respect for conventions not its own, what you term "US bashing" will
be necessary.

Scott Horne