Re: POSIX locales and Roman Numerals

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Sun Jun 27 1999 - 15:07:02 EDT

Kenneth Whistler scripsit:

> Once again, our demented colleague at the Interplanetary Fast Earth
> Society has completely misrepresented Fast Earth doctrine.

> A little elementary physics should demonstrate that it would take
> way, way too much energy to move the Earth into a 100-day orbit,

But why muck around with planetary engineering at all? Why not
kilosecs, megasecs, gigasecs? These are the units used in Joan Vinge's
sf novel _The Outcasts of Heaven [Asteroid] Belt_, and they work well.

A kilosec is a good period for a break from work. Movies last about
7-10 kilosecs. A small-scale project gets done in a few megasecs;
a typical consulting assignment lasts 25-50 megasecs. A marriage
is doing extremely well if it lasts a gigasec.

       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin