Re: First day of the week

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Sun Jun 27 1999 - 18:10:58 EDT

G. Adam Stanislav scripsit:

> > The 7-day week is of Jewish origin,
>
> Sorry, I seriously doubt that. That it is part of the Jewish tradition is no
> doubt. That it is of Jewish *origin* is highly debatable. Most likely the
> Jewish tradition simply adopted a pre-existing system.

Quite likely. However, that pre-existing system has been transmitted
to the neo-West solely through the Jewish tradition. The old Roman
market week or "nundinae" was 8 days long (9 days by Roman rules,
where you count market day as both the last of the preceding week
and the first of the following week).