Re: First day of the week

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 27 1999 - 19:18:34 EDT

John Cowan wrote on 1999-06-27 19:20 UTC:
> The 7-day week is of Jewish origin, ...

Before this gets too much off-topic, I invite everyone interested to
read the Calendar FAQ on

  http://www.pip.dknet.dk/~c-t/cal/node6.html

which summarizes nicely the information and references that have come up
before in many similar online discussions. I also invite you to join me
in discussions around the more general aspects of international
standards and i18n in the classical USENET newsgroup
<news:comp.std.internat>, where I am happy to provide some more
information on the history behind the ISO 8601 week numbers and their
relation to industrial shift scheduling across weekends. ISO also did
not make a grave error, as was claimed here before, and the biblical and
Hebrew week definitions were of course well known to the originators of
the standard. They were indeed subject of thorough discussion, as were
the (ISO-conforming) meanings of the weekday names in the Russian
language and many other interesting aspects that we can better discuss
in comp.std.internat.

Markus