Re: Superscript asterisk

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 05:40:43 EDT

Ar 00:45 -0700 1999-06-30, scríobh Ricardo Bermell-Benet:
>Torsten Mohrin has given to me the perfect reply
>to my question, a Unicode Standard citation:
>
>"Superscripts and subscripts have been included in the Unicode
>Standard only to provide compatibility with existing character
>sets. In general, the Unicode character encoding does not attempt
>to describe the positioning of a character above or below the
>baseline in typographical layout."

There are superscript International Phonetic Alphabet characters which were
not included to support any particular character sets so far as I know, but
phonetic entities like aspiration (h). We (Finland, Norway, Ireland) are
preparing a proposal for Finno-Ugric Phonetic Alphabet support which
contains rather a lot of superscript, subscript, and small-capital letters,
and whose semantics are completely different from the plain letters, and
must be distinguished from them in plain text (for lexicographical
searching, etc.).

So the text in the Unicode Standard overstates things, unfortunately.

It seems to me that asterisks are normally superscripted, though.

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)