Re: Superscript asterisk

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 19:33:47 EDT

Ar 13:50 -0400 1999-06-30, scríobh Martin_Hosken@sil.org:

>>We (Finland, Norway, Ireland) are preparing a proposal for Finno-Ugric
>>Phonetic
>Alphabet support which contains rather a lot of superscript, subscript, and
>small-capital letters, and whose semantics are completely different from the
>plain letters, and must be distinguished from them in plain text (for
>lexicographical searching, etc.).
>
>Do you have some shareable details of this proposal?

Not yet.

>One thought ringing around my head is that there are probably so many
>superscripts used for phonemics (possibly every vowel?) that perhaps we
>need to
>consider an IPA control character: superscript. But perhaps that is providing
>too much rope :)

It might cause some problems with (e.g.) existing small capitals like LATIN
LETTER SMALL CAPITAL R, which would subsequently have to be decomposable.

The proposal will be made available when it is mature.

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)