Re: Superscript asterisk

From: Martin_Hosken@sil.org
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 13:50:22 EDT

Dear Michael,

>We (Finland, Norway, Ireland) are preparing a proposal for Finno-Ugric Phonetic
Alphabet support which contains rather a lot of superscript, subscript, and
small-capital letters, and whose semantics are completely different from the
plain letters, and must be distinguished from them in plain text (for
lexicographical searching, etc.).

Do you have some shareable details of this proposal?

One thought ringing around my head is that there are probably so many
superscripts used for phonemics (possibly every vowel?) that perhaps we need to
consider an IPA control character: superscript. But perhaps that is providing
too much rope :)

Martin Hosken