Re: First day of the week (still off-topic)

From: Alain LaBont\i - 1 (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 01 1999 - 00:23:59 EDT

A 03:54 1999-06-30 -0700, Michael Everson a écrit :
>Ar 13:37 -0700 1999-06-28, scríobh Alain:
>
>> And wasn't Abraham, (the father of Judaism and indirectly of
>>Christianism and Islam) born in Mesopotamia, i.e. Babylon, i.e. modern Irak
>>(Ur/Our)?
>
>What do you mean "indirectly"? As a Buddhist living in Ireland I've had the
>long displeasure of watching people describe the political differences here
>as "sectarian", which, ignoring the fact that theology is not in question,
>are between "Protestants" and "Catholics" which are practically considered
>different religions by some folks. I mean the god of Abraham is the god of
>the Jews and the Christians and the Muslims. Makes 'em quite similar
>religions from a not very odd point of view. They'd be different if they
>had a mother goddess and her consort, or an elephant-headed god with four
>arms.

[Alain] That's exactly what I said a few days ago, and I was not even
dividing the myriads of Christian religions... For me, Judaism,
Christianism and Islamism (well, you can add Bahaism, probably Mormonism)
is one and only one religion. All the differences are superfluous. What
counts is the point zero... even atheists could join the band
philosophically without the need to worship any God, if they are allowed to
think that a God or gods do(es) not need us to worship It(Them) if It/They
exist(s)... and if they are allowed to ask: "Who has a virtual definition
of God? -- Can I have my own?" (; But here I take too many risks and I
respect worshipers of all religions. That belongs to their intimate inner
self, and they are right, that is the only thing that counts, what they
sincerely believe while respecting others.

I said "indirectly" because those who created the schisms were not orthodox...

I can start my own religion today, but I won't be able to pretend that
Abraham is directly the father of my religion, it would be rather indirect...

One of my atheist friends in Paris started a new religion, the non-eaters
of mad cow. (;

In his religion I was allowed to preach Unicode as being the good news... (;

Alain LaBonté
Québec