Re: Superscript asterisk

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Fri Jul 02 1999 - 06:21:26 EDT

Ar 11:42 -0700 1999-07-01, scríobh Asmus Freytag:

>We finally settled on adding a set of "Math Styled Alphabets" to the
>surrogate space (Plane 1 in 10646), or about 1000 characters from the base
>Latin and Greek alphabets, plus digits, in only those style / case
>combinations as are actually used in the mathematical literature.

Finland, Norway, and Ireland are, as I said, working on Finno-Ugric
Phonetic Alphabet additions. These are intended for the BMP. We have about
140 characters in mind.

I have a hunch there will be some overlap.... I need to see some of the
Math alphabets, I think, Asmus.

In a pre-FUPA transcription, LATIN SMALL LETTER FRAKTUR G was used for what
later was represented with LATIN SMALL LETTER G WITH STROKE. What kind of
properties would the Math FRAKTUR G have? Could it be used in ordinary text
text (not math text)?

What is the advantage of not putting the math characters in the BMP?

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)