RE: vectors

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 1999 - 17:45:29 EDT

Are German fraktur hand forms used in print in standard publications? In
physics at least, vectors are usually represented by boldface normal type or
as you mention by characters with an arrow above them.

The math alphanumerics proposal includes Fraktur as a math alphabet, but it
doesn't specify what kind of Fraktur. The kind is considered to be a
higher-level attribute. In particular, you wouldn't expect to have Fraktur
hand forms in the same document as print Fraktur and we've had no request
from the technical publishing community for such a combination. Assuming
that only one kind appears in a document, only one kind of Fraktur needs to
be encoded to satisfy the Unicode principle (p. 2-7 of The Unicode Standard,
Version 2.0):

"Plain text must contain enough information to permit the text to be
rendered legibly, and nothing more".

One of my favorite examples of why we need to have multiple math alphabets
in order to satisfy this principle is that of the Hamiltonian operator in
physics. If plain text distinguishes between a script H and an italic H,
then the formula correctly defines the Hamiltonian, given by a script H, in
terms of the magnetic field, given by an italic H. If the distinction is
lost, e.g., both H's are the same, then the formula sadly turns into a
meaningless integral equation. That is, the text is no longer legible.

Murray