Re: Plain Text

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 04 1999 - 05:20:03 EDT

At 16:00 -0700 7/3/1999, dickey@clark.net wrote:
[failing to note that Ed Cherlin wrote in reply to his request for
identification]
>> Well, in no particular order, I am
>>
>> Edward Cherlin
>> Spam fighter
>> Participant in standards processes for APL, I18N, Unicode
>> Experience in production of documents including APL, math, music, Chinese,
>> Korean, Japanese, Greek, Russian, Hebrew, Yiddish
>> Author and publisher of The Worldwide Impact of the Unicode Character Set
>> Standard, 1994.
>> BA Honors Math & Philosophy Yale 1967
>> Buddhist priest
>> Author of The New Newbie Pages at http://www.newbie.net
>> Member of this list for several years.

[and also omitting Ed's statement about having been in a similar discussion
with Frank on this list two years ago, about creating a Unicode text format
standard.]

>so? (I don't see any clue for berating Frank about "limited experience",

Are you berating me? You didn't ask me for "clues for berating Frank", just
who I am. Do you mean that my experience is irrelevant in discussing his
experience?

Frank? Am I being mean to you? Is my criticism too harsh? If so, I
apologize. What did you think about my suggestions for the Unicode text
standard?

>except possibly your implied age ~55 -- for the rest, I don't see anything
>that matters much)

Frank's "limited experience" is not youth but insularity. He cites
practices current on UNIX systems as though they applied universally.

I have used UNIX, DOS, Windows, CP/M, Apple ][, IBM mainframes via
timesharing, and several other kinds of computers, dealing with character
set problems well outside Frank's range of experience. I forgot to mention
that I instigated and managed a software development project for a highly
portable APL that came out in English, French, German, Finnish, Russian,
and Japanese, on a variety of computer architectures.

--
Edward Cherlin                        President
Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail