Re: phonetic superscripts, etc.

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Sun Jul 04 1999 - 05:59:11 EDT

Ar 01:32 -0700 1999-07-04, scríobh Edward Cherlin:

>My question can be put another way. Should IPA characters be mapped
>one-to-one into Unicode characters, or should IPA be considered a different
>data type?

<astonishment>What on earth?</astonishment>

IPA is already a part of the UCS.

>Is it just a writing system like all other writing systems or
>should the process which goes from a sequence of IPA entities to a graphic
>image (on screen, paper, or whatever) include a translation from IPA to
>formatted Unicode characters, thus decoupling the problem of defining IPA
>entities from the problem of defining the mapping from formatted character
>strings to lists of glyph/position pairs for rendering them.

IPA uses the Latin alphabet and various diacritics. Unfortunately in my
view there are some Greek letters which haven't been "cloned" into Latin
for IPA support, which I guess will make sorting of Greek & IPA data
impossible. That's the only problem with IPA in the UCS.

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)