Re: dotless j

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 17:10:13 EDT

>In Irish too, and not just in the past, Tim! That dotless long i is what I
write, when using my native script other than with a computer. I have to confess
to having used the Turkish dotless i, and would even use a dotless j, if that
were available, as a long-i substitute (as would many a non-fontmaker, who might
not know/care about the problems thus caused, should text need to be transferred
any further than the nearest consenting printer).

Much more likely that a font maker would design an expert set font, if they were
going to be careful, or stick it any old place in the font if they weren't.
Either way, I think what Tim has described is a variant glyph and not a distinct
character.

Peter