RE: dotless j

From: Paul Dempsey (Exchange) (paulde@exchange.microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 18:16:54 EDT

Ar 20:19 -0000 1999-07-05, scríobh Timothy Partridge:
>Can I interest you in the possibility of LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS LONG I?
>It looks just like a dotless j. (LATIN SMALL LETTER LONG I would be unified
>with LATIN SMALL LETTER J.)
>
>In England in the 11th and 12th centuries i was written without a dot. It
>was common to write the i at the end of a word in a long form which looks
>like a dotless j.
> Tim

But it is still an 'i' and not some different character. From Tim's
description it sounds like this situation is rally no different from final
letter forms in Arabic. In other words, 'long i' is a presentation form of
'i' and not semantically different character.

--- Paul