RE: dotless j

From: Curtis Clark (jcclark@csupomona.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 00:24:50 EDT

At 06:41 PM 7/5/99 -0700, Christopher J. Fynn wrote:
>One problem is that there are font editors which either insist that you
>assign a "Unicode" cmap value - or which assign one by default when
>generating
>a TrueType font.

When you clear the Unicode index for a Fontlab glyph, it assigns the glyph
to the next available PUA slot.

>Latin script users, font designers and even developers have much less
>incentive
>to adopt systems that support Unicode computing - especially if they feel
>it makes life more difficult for them.
[...]
>And most of them will assign a "Unicode" cmap value to that glyph and, no
>matter what the Unicode standard states, so long as they can access that
>glyph by that
>value many users will start adopting that assignment as a character
>representing that entity.

Part of the issue is that Microsoft seems to be supporting access to
characters through the Unicode table, to the extent that font editors such
as Corel Draw can make a TrueType font with Unicode only (no name table),
and with the exception of some Adobe apps, every Windows program is happy
with it. But I'm not convinced that every program could access a glyph by
name if there were no Unicode index associated (when I get some time, I'll
strip the Unicode cmap from a font and try it out, unless some one of you
already knows the answer).

Curtis Clark http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/
Biological Sciences Department Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University FAX: (909) 869-4078
Pomona CA 91768-4032 USA jcclark@csupomona.edu