Re: MIME text/plain

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 03:54:14 EDT

At 09:07 -0700 7/11/1999, Jungshik Shin wrote:
[snip]
[snip]

>> At 07:23 -0700 7/6/1999, John Cowan wrote:
>> [snip]
>> >The corresponding MIME type is "text/plain; charset=utf-8" or
>> >"... utf-16".
>> >
>> >Anything else should have a different MIME type or at least
>> >different parameters.
>
> Can I propose that everyone on this mailing list stop sending messages
>in "pre-Unicode" encodings(like ISO-8859-1) and begin sending her/his
>messages with non-US-ASCII characters in UTF-8(well, US-ASCII only
>message also qualifies for UTF-8 as everybody knows)? Isn't it funny
>that people on the Unicode mailing list send messages in "legacy"
>encodings like ISO-8859-1(by far the most frequently used encoding in
>the list which is not UTF-8 other than US-ASCII which can be labelled as
>UTF-8)? I know this will for sure lead to some inconveniences for some
>people(perhaps quite many of us), but aren't we suppose to be an exampla
>case in promoting as rapid and wide adoption of Unicode as possible?
>
> Jungshik Shin

Fine with me. I can use Tango on one of the PCs here. Does your mailer
support UTF-8?

PS The Hangul in my last message came back rather mangled. 'Jamo' turned
into 'jo', and some other syllables dropped out. My apologies. Were you
able to make anything of it?

--
Edward Cherlin   edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu
"It isn't what you don't know that hurts you, it's