FW: Two questions about Unicode

From: Magda Danish (Unicode) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 14:08:34 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Armin Bassarak [mailto:bassarak@bibliothek.uni-halle.de]
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 1999 8:24 AM
To: info@unicode.org
Subject: Two questions about Unicode

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
Let me ask, please, two questions about Unicode:

1. Up to now I did not find a possibility of entering a unicode character
disponible on my computer via ALT-xxxx or something like that. When I enter
a combination grater than ALT-0255 I only get simple ASCII (or ANSI)
characters. And selecting characters with the mouse from a list of unicode
characters is a very slow procedure.

2. On my computer there is a very nice unicode font (Lucida Sans Unicode,
you certainly know it). But it does not contain some characters needed for
scientific transliteration of Arabic letters like e.g. h with dot below
(1E25=7717) and others. And my browser (Netscape 4.5 under WindowsNT4) does
even not support this character (and others). How can I find the necessary
fonts and programs in order to use these characters defined in Unicode?

I know that my second question is a very large and perhaps difficult one,
but the first question is very urgent for me. I hope you will be able to
answer at least my first question.

Yours sincerely,
                        Armin Bassarak

-----
Dr. Armin Bassarak
Fachreferent für Turkologie
ULB Halle, SSG Vorderer Orient
bassarak@bibliothek.uni-halle.de
http://www.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/info/adress/fbassara.htm
-----
"The stone age was marked by man's clever use
of crude tools; the information age, to date, has
been marked by man's crude use of clever tools." - Anonymous