Re: FW: Two questions about Unicode

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 16:39:25 EDT

> From: Armin Bassarak [mailto:bassarak@bibliothek.uni-halle.de]
>
> 1. Up to now I did not find a possibility of entering a unicode character
> disponible on my computer via ALT-xxxx or something like that.

Since your next question is about a browser, I thought I should mention
that one way to enter characters is via NCRs (numeric character
references). In this case, you could use ḥ

> 2. On my computer there is a very nice unicode font (Lucida Sans Unicode,
> you certainly know it). But it does not contain some characters needed for
> scientific transliteration of Arabic letters like e.g. h with dot below
> (1E25=7717) and others. And my browser (Netscape 4.5 under WindowsNT4) does
> even not support this character (and others).

If you don't have a font that contains 1E25, then how do you know that
Netscape 4.5 does not support this character?

Try adding a META tag at the beginning of the HEAD of your document:

Then &#7717; should work in Netscape 4.5 if you have such a font and you
set the font prefs appropriately (Edit | Preferences | Appearance |
Fonts | Unicode).

> How can I find the necessary
> fonts and programs in order to use these characters defined in Unicode?

I don't know where you can find such fonts. Perhaps somebody else will
reply.

Erik