RE: Two questions about Unicode

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 16:01:25 EDT

In Microsoft Office 2000 dialogs, Windows 2000 WordPad, and various other
places that the RichEdit editors are used, you can enter Unicode characters
by numeric value in two ways:

1) type the character code in hex and type Alt+x. This converts the hex to
the Unicode character. An appropriate font is chosen in case the current
font doesn't support the character code. Type Shift+Alt+x and you do the
reverse: the hex replaces the Unicode character that preceded the insertion
point (handy especially if you see a "missing glyph" glyph and want to know
what the character is). Use selection to disambiguate a hex code that
immediately follows legitimate hex characters not part of the code.

2) Use Alt+NumPad numbers with values > 255 to enter Unicode characters
using decimal values. This approach isn't as handy, since you can't see
what hexadigits you've typed, nor can you correct them, except by reentering
them all.

The first approach is very general in that it can be used on most computer
systems. The only problem we've found is that Alt+x is sometimes used to
mean eXit. This usage occurs, for example, as an option on the Office File
menu.

For more discussion, please see my paper "Tips and Tricks on Editing and
Displaying Unicode Text" at the Fourteenth International Unicode Conference,
Boston, March, 1999.

Thanks
Murray