Re: Unicode in source code. WHY?

From: Geoffrey Waigh (anzu@home.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 17:26:52 EDT

Addison Phillips wrote:

> Certainly there will be developers who code "features" of dubious utility
> into their code that way too, but, hey, they have to maintain it.

Thinking back on the various working environments I've been in,
four of them explicitly had maintenance done by a separate group
than the "developers." Three others encouraged developers to
look after their own code until they left the organization
whereupon someone else inherited it. Some of those heaps of
code I and my colleagues have been handed have been nightmares
of maintainability. I dread every new tool that is created
to aid the forces of obscurity.

I have visions of dealing with programs 15 years from now that
are written in 10 scripts and 23 languages. For a moment I
thought translation software could salvage this, but I already
have to wade through horribly ungrammatical/misspelt (in their
native language,) code and it doesn't do much for abbreviations.

Geoffrey