Re: Unicode in source code. WHY?

From: Torsten Mohrin (mohrin@sharmahd.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 10:58:23 EDT

Can someone give me at least one really good reason, why I should use
Unicode in identifiers in programming languages? What's wrong with
English and ASCII (and I mean "ASCII") and [A-Za-z_] ?

UCNs are a good idea, e.g. in string literals, regular expression,
resource files, config files and so on. But, IMHO, it's a very stupid
idea to use Unicode characters in identifiers. I will never use them
and I will forbid the programmers in my company to use them
(fortunately I can do that). We use only English based identifiers.

What's the real advantage of using all possible letters in function or
variable names? I think, the way Java and C9x go is wrong!

--
Torsten Mohrin
Sharmahd Computing GmbH, Hannover, Germany