Re: Apostrophes, quotation marks, keyboards and typography

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Wed Jul 28 1999 - 06:28:36 EDT

Ar 19:43 -0700 1999-07-27, scríobh Jonathan Rosenne:

>It is much more user friendly to have to write <Q>text</Q>, or to select
>the text and click on a "quotation" menu item, indicating intent, rather
>than <&lsqm>text<&rsqm> or something similar, or some fancy keyboard
>combination, in which the author has to specify the precise implications of
>his intent.

I disagree a LOT with this, from my own experience. Having the actual
characters in text is much more valuable than having generic markup.
Inputting should be straightforward, but that's another question.

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)