Re: Apostrophes, quotation marks, keyboards and typography

From: Michael Everson (
Date: Wed Jul 28 1999 - 06:28:36 EDT

Ar 19:43 -0700 1999-07-27, scríobh Jonathan Rosenne:

>It is much more user friendly to have to write <Q>text</Q>, or to select
>the text and click on a "quotation" menu item, indicating intent, rather
>than <&lsqm>text<&rsqm> or something similar, or some fancy keyboard
>combination, in which the author has to specify the precise implications of
>his intent.

I disagree a LOT with this, from my own experience. Having the actual
characters in text is much more valuable than having generic markup.
Inputting should be straightforward, but that's another question.

Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta *
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn;  Baile an Bhóthair;  Co. Átha Cliath; Éire