Re: Latin-1's apostrophe, grave accent, acute accent

From: Erland Sommarskog (sommar@algonet.se)
Date: Wed Aug 04 1999 - 18:09:31 EDT

Just a tidbit: I don't recall when I first was exposed to these
ugly \\quotes||, but it must have been long back in the eighties.
Of course in those days, I used a seven-bit terminal, so those
grave accents where displayed LOWERCASE E WITH ACUTE in ISO-646-SE.
But I don't think these quotes started to look pretty just because
I switched to 8-bit terminals and printers later on. These days,
I access Unix through a Telnet window on my NT box, and the quotes
still look ugly.

Anyway, it was a bad idea with limited geographical use in the
eighties, so I fail to see that it would be a better idea today.

Then again, I have hardly ever used xterm or X11, and it is not
very likely that I ever will.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se