Re: Unicode Keyboards

From: Erland Sommarskog (sommar@algonet.se)
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 18:45:24 EDT

Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> There is no technical, cultural or ergonomical justification for the
> many keyboard layouts that we have at the moment. For instance, it is
> easily conceivable to come up with a single highly practical layout for
> the West European and Panamerican Market.

I'm skeptic to that. As a Swedish user, it's instrumental for me to have
as keys on the keyboard. Danish and Norwegian users needs on
their keyboards. For your letters home you need . Exactly how
Mediterrenan users want their accents I don't know, but if you are
to accomodate all needs, you will get a large keyboard. And, frankly,
I don't really want a keyboard with keys that I use only rarely. It's
OK for me to achieve by some two- or three-combination (although
I would be glad to be relieved from being compelled to know the
Latin-1 code, as I need today with my Swedish PC keyboard). But it
would be completely unacceptable if I would need to that for Swedish
letters.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se