Re: Bachflash to the discussion about German handwriting

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 1999 - 00:50:16 EDT

The only instances where I have been able to verify use of Suetterlin in
math have been literally hand-written ones (blackboard, hand-drawn
diagrams) and in both cases the corresponding *typeset* material (textbook,
text explaining diagram) have been using Fraktur as the typeset counterpart
to Suetterlin, with the corresponding letters indicating the equivalent
variable.

Unles we get some example where a mathematical text uses Fraktur a in
distinction from Suetterlin a, we can't make the case for encoding as a
math-styled alphabetic. (The use of Suetterlin in logos is properly
addressed as a font variation.) So if you can rustle up an example of a
Suetterlin a meaning something different than a Fraktur a in the same text,
please send it to me. I have only found examples where the two mean the
*same thing* in the same text.

A./