Re: Last Call: UTF-16, an encoding of ISO 10646 to Informational

From: Frank da Cruz (
Date: Sun Aug 15 1999 - 12:31:09 EDT

> Just checking: you say that the registration of UTF-16LE and UTF-16BE as
> the two registered names to be used in MIME is wrong?
If MIME is an interchange standard, then yes, it would be wrong. What is
the point of codifying the internal storage format of different computer
architectures in an interchange standard?

> If someone of you which oppose this paper want a different introduction
> which makes this point clearer, please submit text and I will be happy to
> discuss this with Paul.
I would suggest that Section 3, including all its subsections, be replaced
by a simple statement to the effect that UTF-16 shall always be transmitted
most-significant byte first, and that the text label be simply "UTF-16".

With this change, Section 4 is no longer needed and Section 5 can be

- Frank