Re: New phonemic writing system and IPA usage

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Fri Aug 20 1999 - 11:51:02 EDT

Markus writes:

> It would probably not be
> too difficult to write a software that transliterates both English and
> German into IPA reasonably well, if only I could find a freely available
> online dictionary that contains an acceptable standard IPA orthography
> for these language. Perhaps someone even has already written such a
> program. Any recommendations?

My Latin alphabet to Deseret Alphabet/Shavian software uses:

ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/project/fgdata/dict, and

ftp://svr-ftp.eng.cam.ac.uk/pub/comp.speech/dictionaries/CUVOALD.tar.gz

They're not IPA-based, but it's easy to do the conversion.

*My* question is how do I get my browser/email client to do the conversions
on-the-fly so I can see my favorite Web pages in the Deseret Alphabet? Am I
going to have to muck with the Mozilla source?

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
tseng@blueneptune.com