RE: TeX (was: apostrophe etc.) (probably offtopic)

From: Alistair S. Vining (al@heimdallr.u-net.com)
Date: Sun Aug 22 1999 - 11:50:26 EDT

  [snip]

> No, it's an artifact of bad training codified by someone who
> should have
> known better.
>
> Grrrrrrrrrr.

I'm either misunderstanding here or just confused. It seems to have
become an article of faith for many people that in 'real' printing there
are never two spaces (or, a larger space) after a full stop. But does
this 'rule' go back very far? Picking some random 'old' books, I find
that nineteenth and early-twentieth century books all use two spaces,
but that one space becomes common from about 1950 onwards. Is it just
part of some quest for the mythical 'uniform grey'? Post-war rationing
of spaces? Or does it have something to do with the pronouncements in
the Mac Bible, and _The Mac is not a Typewriter_? I know that's where I
found it :)

Nowadays I tend to use two in email / monospaced fonts, and one with
break up the uniform grey of the pages, so I think TeX's solution is
about perfect.

Anyway, I don't propose encoding this in Unicode, so I'll stay quiet,
unless someone wants to take this to TYPO-L...

yrs etc.

( al )

--
Alistair S. Vining